Sunday, October 30, 2005

LETTERS

Hi there

I was born and brought up in the Camborne-Redruth-Hayle area, and, for reasons of career, profession etc, like most young people, moved away from the area. Although I have visited Cornwall to visit friends and relatives regularly over the years, I visited Portreath this week, probably for the first time in 30 years, and how disappointed I was.

I have always been aware of the good work done by the Kerrier Council, and the Portreath Improvements Group of local residents, and they have to be commended for many of the things they have achieved. However the things which dismayed me, an understatement, were:


* the uglification of the car parking area by the beach;
* the grim steel barriers to the car park;
* the ugly signs, and the fact that the car park is locked up at 10pm; where is the freedom that existed when I was young?
* the awful yellow bins by the beach: are these for clinical waste?
* the grotesque traffic calming;
* the signs on the telegraph poles stating that you could be moved on and asked to leave the area and a curfew for kids;
* pay and display;
* the appearance of the people walking about the place, who looked as though they were from another planet.

Maybe I am the one from another planet, or maybe it is just old age taking its toll. Portreath remains a beautiful place, but I guess my tendency is going to be to focus on the beach and the scenery on my next visit, and to avert my gaze from the village!

Jon Holland

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOODBYE


No matter where I wander
No matter where I roam
There is a place in Cornwall
I will always call my home

Where ever my journey takes me
Over land and sea and air
I can close my eyes and imagine
And in my heart I’m there

And when the sun is shining
And the skies above are clear
I will always remember Cornwall
And that place I hold so dear

When those waves are crashing
And you stare out to the sea
As the sun dips down behind Gull Rock
Please remember me.



ABBIE, AMY and LIAM McGHEE
PORTREATH PRIMARY SCHOOL 1999-2004
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------