Monday, December 19, 2005

New county councillor

The new county councillor for Illogan and Portreath is Paul Holmes (Liberal), who won back the seat he held between 1985 and 2002 at a by-election.

His 324 votes put him 56 votes ahead of his nearest rival, Liberal Democrat David Ekinsmyth, followed by Independent Tommy Bray (268), Conservative Mary Anson (202) and Labour's Tony Bunt (84). There was a 20.47 per cent turnout.

Mr Holmes, who lost his seat in 2002 to Terry Rowe, said it was "good to be back".

"I'm delighted to be the county councillor for Illogan and Portreath again, the seat I held for 17 years.

"I have very loyal support in this area and I'm very grateful they turned out in force in such poor weather to support me. It's very humbling.

"I'm also indebted to the excellent band of workers who went out in all weathers to support me in the run up to the election."

Mr Holmes said he was keen to get back into county council life and was committed to working for the people of Illogan and Portreath.

He added: "I shall be working very hard, and in particular, I shall be making every effort to get the Trevenson Moor footpath put in. I consider that a priority."

Mr Holmes, who lives in Illogan, is a self-employed electrician. He is a Bard of the Cornish Gorsedd for his services to music, and a churchwarden at Pencoys Church, Four Lanes. He is a Cornish speaker, and a playing member of Chacewater Cricket Club.