Monday, December 19, 2005

A 20.4 % turnout!

Four-fifths of the electorate didn't even bother to vote in the Illogan-Portreath county council by-election. For the record, I didn't win, but over 200 voted for me and for that I thank them.

But what really worries me is voter apathy, and it's obvious that politicians aren't getting through to the people we are supposed to be serving.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong, and what to do? Compulsory voting, perhaps? Better venues? Voting times? More e-mail, on-line and postal voting? No canvassing (because no-one believes us, anyway)? Candidate debate before voting? Freepost envelopes for all electors? More information direct to voters?

What do you think? Let me know, and I promise I will reply and send all comments to the Electoral Commission and election officers.

Back to reality, my latest charity auction is at the Victoria Inn, Four Lanes, tomorrow (Friday) at 8pm, in aid of Pencoys Church roof appeal. Please come along.

Cllr TOMMY BRAY